Monday 7 June 2010

Rising Star: Maximillian Nastasi-Grace


Maximillian Nastasi-Grace, one of Ascot’s youngest rising stars, had just celebrated his 16th Birthday with a win for his team Apache in the Champagne Challenge tournament. Speaking to Livingpolo.com between birthday congratulations, Max told me a little about how he is finding his feet, or rather his stirrups, alongside some of the UK's top players.

Congratulations on your victory this morning! How was the match for you?

Great! I'm really happy with our win. It was a closely-fought match against some strong players, and of course, my Mum!

Didn't that intimidate you?

No, of course not, if anything, it makes me more determined to play well.

Polo runs in your family. Can you tell us a bit about that?

Well, as you know, my Grandfather (and Grandmother) founded this club and we are very fortunate for that. Not only do I see him as my Grandfather, but also as a mentor. He used to take me out when I was younger and I really look up to him.

Do you have any early memories of horse-riding?

I've been riding since I was 4 and my earliest memory was when my Shetland pony rolled on top of me! That certainly put me off for a while.

So how long have you been riding seriously?

This is my 3rd year of serious horse-riding. I'm a total addict.

And how often do you ride?

At least 6 times a week. I've got a 6 year-old gelding. He’s an Irish thoroughbred racetrack horse called Precious Dancer and we are slowly getting him into the game. At the end of October we’ll start with a stick and ball for a slow chukka and take it from there. I hope to ride Precious Dancer in matches eventually.

Is Polo what you intend to do professionally?

I'm still young. I'm only 16 and am studying for my GCSE's. I may go into Hedge funds when I'm older. I just don't know yet. I'm enjoying History, Economics and Maths so I'll see where that takes me.

And how do your friends feel about your polo playing?

Most of my friends would love to play. But I suppose it's a bit inconvenient as matches generally happen at the weekends and they’re doing other things like Rugby.

Who are your polo Idols?

Definitely Facundo, Pieres, Cambiaso: the greats. And I hope to go to Argentina in my gap year and work with the horses. Basically get back to nature.

Do you have any long-term aims?

If I take it professionally, yes. I'd love to get a 7 or 8 handicap but for now, I'm aiming for 2 or 3 realistically. Polo has become part of my life. I love it.

It might be worth keeping an eye on this young man!

Isamaya ffrench, LivingPolo UK

No comments:

Post a Comment